Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio support in NetBSD Packages Collection

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio support in NetBSD Packages Collection
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 20:18:05 -0700

On Sun, Oct 09, 2005 at 07:57:04AM +0930, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
> G'day,
>
> I've committed code that makes GNU Radio available through pkgsrc - The
> NetBSD
> Packages Collection. It is my intention to track the official releases of GNU
> Radio. A meta-package that will install all currently supported modules can
> be found on.
>
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/meta-pkgs/gnuradio/README.html
>
> Individual modules are available from
>
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/ham/gnuradio-audio-oss/README.html
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/ham/gnuradio-core/README.html
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/ham/gnuradio-examples/README.html
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/ham/gnuradio-gsm/README.html
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/ham/gnuradio-howto/README.html
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/ham/gnuradio-usrp/README.html
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/ham/gnuradio-wxgui/README.html
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/ham/usrp/README.html

Hi Berndt, this is great!   Thanks for all the effort in packaging this.

I've got a couple of questions:

(1) Is "ham" the proper place for this?  Is there something broader
than "ham" that includes "comms" in general?  The majority of our users
aren't hams, and many of the applications have nothing to do with
amateur radio.

(2) We know that the USRP doesn't work reliably under NetBSD at this
point since no one has implemented "Fast USB" support for NetBSD
(fusb_netbsd.{h,cc}).  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  Has anyone
sustained 32MB/sec on NetBSD without over or under runs?  Do you know
somebody, or are there any NetBSD lurkers on the list who would be
willing to do the work to make the USRP work well on NetBSD?  The
fundamental problem is to figure out how to have multiple USB
transactions in flight at the same time.  Without this, the USRP
*will* have over and under runs.

> More information about pkgsrc - The NetBSD Packages Collection can be found on
>
> http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/software/packages.html
>
> 73, Berndt
> VK5ABN

Thanks again for packaging it all up!