Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio support in NetBSD Packages Collection

From: Berndt Josef Wulf
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio support in NetBSD Packages Collection
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 17:16:05 +0930

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 12:48, Eric Blossom wrote:

> I've got a couple of questions:
>
> (1) Is "ham" the proper place for this?  Is there something broader
> than "ham" that includes "comms" in general?  The majority of our users
> aren't hams, and many of the applications have nothing to do with
> amateur radio.

I believe so. One could argue to place GNU Radio in many other categories such
as

cad -           modelling and simulations
comms - communication applications
graphics -      image processing
math    -       applied mathematics in DSP
ham -   real world appliations, wireless communications

any of these arguments are true depending on the perspective and choice as GNU
Radio is very versatile in the way it can be applied. I chose HAM = Wireless
communication tools and applications, which made sense to me. I don't believe
it will discourage potential users from using it.

> (2) We know that the USRP doesn't work reliably under NetBSD at this
> point since no one has implemented "Fast USB" support for NetBSD
> (fusb_netbsd.{h,cc}).  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  Has anyone
> sustained 32MB/sec on NetBSD without over or under runs?  Do you know
> somebody, or are there any NetBSD lurkers on the list who would be
> willing to do the work to make the USRP work well on NetBSD?  The
> fundamental problem is to figure out how to have multiple USB
> transactions in flight at the same time.  Without this, the USRP
> *will* have over and under runs.

Maximum data bandwidth on *BSD is around 8MB. This is highly optimistic as
overruns and underruns occur whenever other applications require CPU cycles -
even at much lower speeds. Sofar I failed to enlist the interest of kernel
savvy developers in the NetBSD community chiefly because there are other
higher priorities, lack of interest and/or time. One can't force but only
encourage volunteers. I'm tinkering with the idea to provide access to my
USRP connected to a NetBSD system via Internet.

For now I can listen to Stereo FM Stations... ;-)

BTW: My USB2.0 HDTV stick works flawlessly on the same system under XP....

cheerio Berndt