[Discuss-gnuradio] 802.16 jammer with USRP/GnuRadio?

From: Marcus Leech
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] 802.16 jammer with USRP/GnuRadio?
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:10:49 -0400

Here's an unusual request.

I'm discussing 802.16 (WiMaX) jamming resistance with some of my colleagues.
Since I do security for a living, I like to think about these things. I don't see anything in the specs that would immediately render a jammer an impractical
 project for an poorly-funded adversary.

But maybe there's something about OFDM-256 that I don't "grok" that's making me think building a jammer with USRP/GnuRadio-level technology would be straightforward.

Anyone on this list with an opinion?

Near as I can tell, OFDM isn't like conventional DSSS or FH technology--it's rather like what Telebit used to do on phone lines to produce high data rate reliable modems. In DSSS, provided the spreading code is "secret", jamming is a costly proposition to someone who
 doesn't have the spreading code.