Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Do I need a FCC license?

From: Steve Schear
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Do I need a FCC license?
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 11:56:53 -0800

At 06:30 AM 1/9/2006, LRK wrote:
On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 11:35:57PM -0600, Eunsoo Seo wrote:
> Hi, guys. I'm a newbie.
> I'm planning to buy some USRPs and start learning gnu radio.
>
> By the way, somebody told me that I need a license from FCC to use gnu radio.
> And he said that getting a license is not the manufacturer's duty but mine.
>
> Is this true?
> Do you guys have licenses?

2. Part 15 allows unlicensed transmission in some frequency ranges at low
   power. (47 CFR 15)

I believe Part 15 allows transmission on most frequencies below a certain power/duty-cycle threshold.

3. Test systems using cables and dummy loads which keep signals
   contained do not need a license.

Signal generators of arbitrary complexity do not need a license or FCC approval other than manufacturer/seller's assurance of unintended/conducted emissions are within Part 15.

Steve