Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] A longish-term drift study of the USRP/DBS_RX com

From: Marcus Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] A longish-term drift study of the USRP/DBS_RX combination
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 14:38:35 -0500

Matt Ettus wrote:

Very cool.  Thanks for doing all this development on the RA receiver.
I'm very excited to see where it goes.

Matt

Now that I understand a bit more of the internals, it's really starting to gell for me.

Some things I'd like to add:

      o interference stopping

o recording the FFT results, without having to define a whole new chain (I'm at 50-60% CPU already!!) [I might pull the same trick here that I did with ra_stripchartsink--define a "calibration" function that can record data as a side-effect. I'd simply make an ra_fftsink that does this].

o Possible integration of PyFits (although whether it makes sense to do it in real time remains to be seen)

o Deriving the total power from the FFT results, eliminating the parallel total-power chain

It would be interesting and cool at some point to demonstrate an FX correlator using a pair or trio (or quad, or pentad :-) of USRPs with appropriate front-ends and antennae. In an FX correlator (which is a style that's currently in vogue) you compute the FFT before computing the various cross products. It has more manageable data structure than X-F correlators for RA use. You can see that you can martial the various FFT bins off to different CPUs for further processing in an FX design, and thus control, to some extent, the herculean data flow that occurs in
 these RA systems...

--
Marcus Leech                            Mail:   Dept 1A12, M/S: 04352P16
Security Standards Advisor        Phone: (ESN) 393-9145  +1 613 763 9145