Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Thesis work on GNU Radio

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Thesis work on GNU Radio
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 08:45:11 -0700

On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 09:48:42AM -0400, Michael Dickens wrote:

> Bottom line is that you should consult with your advisor about your
> educational institution's IP Policy(ies), and likely with your local
> office of Research / Tech Transfer / IP, or whatever it is called
> there.  Only after exhausting all reasonable options should you just
> go ahead and do the FSF forms ...

This is all good stuff.

Note that the forms ask "is there anybody who may claim this work" or
something similar.  I don't think they're the last resort, but rather,
a tool to get things moving.

> while it's often easier to ask for
> forgiveness than permission, when it comes to IP "they" probably have
> more lawyers than "you", if they care to use them.  Good luck! - MLD

Talking to the appropriate folks at your institution is a good
idea.  I'll forward the forms that get everything started in a
separate email.  Then you'll have something to show the university
Tech Transfer people.  If you have any questions, etc, please ask.

Eric