Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Export Controls

From: John Clark
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Export Controls
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 12:59:01 -0700

Marcus Leech schrieb:
So, I was reading over a superficial summary of U.S. export controls today, and discovered that radio receivers capable of more than 1000 channels (what the heck is a channel?) and
 able to switch channels in under 1ms are export-controlled technology.

It seems to me that a USRP with a Gnu Radio filterbank in the back-end is such a receiver,
 and is thus subject to  U.S.  export control.

Anyone with a better view of this able to comment?

I only have my cynical view of the US government, and similar regulations that made 'encryption' an armament... on the other hand as an arms, every 'murkin citizen has the right to bear arms... and hence, by declaring encryption an armament, every
'murkin has a right to encryption... where's the NRA when ya need 'em...

By similar reasoning then, every 'murkin has a right to a myriadchannel radio receiver...

As for needeing a filter bank... with DSP there is no need for a 'filter bank'... at least as
a physical element...

And of course it is with good reason we, us 'murkins, get all of our manufactured products from China, since we then don't have to worry about US export regulations at all.