Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Export Controls

From: Daniel Garcia
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Export Controls
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 14:36:20 -0700 (PDT)

> It seems to me that a USRP with a Gnu Radio
> filterbank in the back-end is such a receiver,
>   and is thus subject to  U.S.  export control.

That part of the law is meant to deter the export of
radios what can be used for surveillance of things
like cell phone frequencies. For example, CDMA uses a
puedorandom frequency hopping technique whose
switching speed is inversely proportional to the data
rate. Even at the low end of CDMA (14.4 Kbps) this is
less than 1ms.

AFAIK GNU Radio and the USRP fall in to the category
of "Test Equipment".

To be under export restrictions GNU Radio would need
to be equipped with a USRP, an extremely fast computer
(which would also be under export control), an
implementation of a scanner that supported things like
CDMA, G3, etc, or a the very least a software scanner
that did not omit restricted frequencies (much like
civilian scanners). (As an aside, CDMA would also
require royally fees to Qualcom. :o )

Things like Spectrum analyzers and wide band tuners
are currently considered "TEST Equipment".

Regards,
Daniel