Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] buffer size 32k

From: Charles Swiger
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] buffer size 32k
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 15:03:58 -0400

On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 09:39 -0700, Eric Blossom wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 11:25:55AM -0400, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> > I'm curious about this statement in
> > $PYTHONPATH/gnuradio/gr/flow_graph.py
> >
> >         # We could scan the graph here and determine individual sizes
> >         # based on relative_rate, number of readers, etc.
> >

> > In the meantime, it would be nice to be able, somehow, to tweak the
> > global buffer size from inside an application, without having to
> > edit flow_graph.py manually. Or a GR_BUF_SIZE environment variable.
> >
> > Because: One of my simple test apps works 600% faster using 4k buffer
> > instead of 32k, since it doesn't have to wait for stale data to clear.
>
> Chuck, can you point me at the code for the application?
> I wouldn't expect the size of buffer to matter as long as each block
> returned all the data asked for on each call to work.

No biggie in the grand scheme, for one particular app with lots of
fg starting and stopping here's two plots with the only change being
self.fixed_buffer_size = 32*1024 or 4*1024:

4k buffer:

http://webpages.charter.net/cswiger/80m_filter_4kbuf.jpg

nice, smooth and fast - 10 data points per second. But with
default 32k buffer:

http://webpages.charter.net/cswiger/80m_filter_32kbuf.jpg

no good. That's where I had to slow it down to 3/4 second per
data point (bletch).