Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Secret documentation and Python 2.4

From: Jan Schiefer
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Secret documentation and Python 2.4
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 00:44:08 -0700

Hi Eric,
This particular nugget of info is secreted in gnuradio-core/README ;)

I had long given up on README files, as I found them to mostly contain trivial stuff. Maybe it is time to revise that policy :-).
Seems like this thing is a little underdocumented. How can we help?

would be most welcome.  Part of the problem you're seeing is that
folks have generated documentation outside of the project (no problem
with that), however, since it's not in our repository, we can't edit
it to make corrections, extensions, etc.  Besides Naveens's, we've got
the same problem with Dawei Shen's tutorial.
Any chance that the authors of this external documentation might be talked into contributing it to the docs module?

Let me ramble a bit about the potential "customers" for more documentation. Gnu Radio is really a great technology and significantly lowers the barrier to entry to playing with SDR. However, the learning curve is still pretty steep. Particularly as not everybody has the knowledge or patience to resolve all the build dependencies, or the money to buy an USRP. I am thinking of e.g. some hams that may have a Windows PC, a little dusty programming knowledge but some exposure to DSP concepts and plenty of motivation. The kind of motivation that you get from reading the "Exploring GNU Radio" article. But there is a big gap to "How to write a block". We are still very much in early-adopter land here, and getting more people playing with this stuff would make a big difference.

So if there was this hypothetical binary distribution, I think it might look like this: - gnuradio-core and audio-support in binary form, to be installed on top of an existing Python install
- Optional USRP support
- A few How-Tos: Getting started (mini-Python primer, mini-SDR primer, Running your first example program, Catalog of the existing examples, Audio experiments involving your favorite MP3, Radio experiments with downloadable waveform snippets, etc)
- An easy ordering option for USRPs :-)
- Commented/documented examples
- The secret gnuradio-core library docs as HTML (or CHM on Windows)

Basically, documentation for anything that you can do without a C++ compiler, with a focus on How-Tos, examples and ideas for experiments.

Does this make sense? Or am I barking up the wrong tree here? If so, any other ideas on where to focus?

Also, does this hypothetical binary distribution exist, or is somebody maybe working on it?

I haven't used docbook, but it doesn't exactly look like rocket science. Any recommendations on authoring tools? (Please, let the answer not be "Emacs, of course!"). Vex looked pretty promising, OpenOffice didn't seem to offer much support.

Cheers,
   Jan