Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Secret documentation and Python 2.4

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Secret documentation and Python 2.4
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 08:47:13 -0700

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 11:52:27PM -0700, Jan Schiefer wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I must be missing something - recently I saw a note here on this list
> about --enable-doxygen to autogenerate documentation for gnuradio-core.
> Very nice! It would be very useful if this kind of information was on the
> wiki. Is there some other "official" information repository? I wonder what
> other nuggets of information I am missing out on.

This particular nugget of info is secreted in gnuradio-core/README ;)

> On a vaguely related note, I came across an installation guide for
> gnuradio
> (http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~manicka/Research/GnuRadio_InstallationNotes.pdf),
> which claims that as of gnuradio 2.8, python 2.4 was required. Is that the
> true?

Not true, python 2.3 works fine.

> Seems like this thing is a little underdocumented. How can we help?

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the offer to help.  We could definitely use additional
documentation.  If you'd like to write some and contribute it, that
would be most welcome.  Part of the problem you're seeing is that
folks have generated documentation outside of the project (no problem
with that), however, since it's not in our repository, we can't edit
it to make corrections, extensions, etc.  Besides Naveens's, we've got
the same problem with Dawei Shen's tutorial.

There is currently a CVS module 'docs' which contains a couple of
articles.  If you'd like to add more, that would be the place to do
it.  The current stuff is in docbook format so we can generate pdf's
and html, but beggars can't be choosers ;)

We have a wiki (http://comsec.com/wiki), but as a result of an
*extraordinary* amount of wiki spam, it's currently locked against
editing.  Johnathan Corgan and others are checking out some other
options on the wiki front including trac and media wiki.

I can set you up as a committer to the docs module, or you can send a
patch (the new files) to address@hidden  Let me know.

> Cheers,
>    Jan

Thanks again for your offer to help!