[Discuss-gnuradio] X86_64 questions

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] X86_64 questions
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 12:48:51 -0700

Thanks to all of you who have sent me the output of the script.
I've got enough for now ;)

Here's the summary:

FC4 and FC5 are internally inconsistent (no data on FC6).

They put the system supplied stuff, both the pure python and the .so's,
under /usr/lib64/python<VER>

However, they have python configured to report that third party stuff
should be split between .../lib and .../lib64.

This leads to mischief and complaints that XYZ is broken.  We
currently believe what python says, and thus split the installation
between lib and lib64.

I see a couple of ways to work around this:

(1) require that FC4, FC5 (and probably FC6) users
be required to include {prefix}/lib64/python<VER>/site-packages AND
{prefix}/lib/python<VER>/site-packages in their PYTHONPATH

(2) kludge our configure code so that if python indicates that
scripts go in lib and .so's go in lib64, we put them all in lib64.

Any comments or suggestions WRT these or other options?

I loved seeing the "purist X86_64" systems -- the ones with no 32-bit code ;)

Eric