[Discuss-gnuradio] Recommended RF Front End for USRP

From: M. Ranganathan
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Recommended RF Front End for USRP
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 11:47:12 -0500

Hello!

I am a newcomper to SDR. I have scoured the mailing list but I cant find a definitive answer on the following questions (I suppose its been asked but I cant seem to find answers in the archives at any rate):

1. Can anybody recommend an RF Front end to be used with the USRP from Ettus research? I just got the Basic RX / Basic Tx daughterboard, motherboard + power supply and am looking for recommendations on what to buy so I can experiment with these things. My budget is a few hundred bucks. Can somebody recommend specific products one can buy off the shelf to hook into the Basic RX ? I want to be able to recieve RF signals from a walkie talkie radio and play them on my computer.

2. What is the simplest meaningful thing one can do to get started with SDR? (I am looking to bootstrap myself into this before trying to do anything serious so a fun learning project is what I am looking for.)

I am looking forward to a learning adventure!

Thanks and regards,

Ranga