Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] number of blocks in a burst over USB

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] number of blocks in a burst over USB
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 21:46:55 -0700

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 12:11:35AM -0400, George Nychis wrote:
> I've tried finding this number throughout code and documentation, but can't
> seem to hunt it down.  When using  usrp_standard_rx::make(), the last
> parameter is the number of blocks in a burst.  What's the magic number?
>
> - George

FYI, it's in usrp_basic.h:

  /*!
   * \param which_board      Which USRP board on usb (not particularly useful;
use 0)
   * \param fusb_block_size  fast usb xfer block size.  Must be a multiple of
512.
   *                         Use zero for a reasonable default.
   * \param fusb_nblocks     number of fast usb URBs to allocate.  Use zero for
a reasonable default.
   */
  usrp_basic_rx (int which_board,
                 int fusb_block_size=0,
                 int fusb_nblocks=0,
                 const std::string fpga_filename = "",
                 const std::string firmware_filename = ""
                 );  // throws if trouble

It's not the number of blocks in a burst.  It's the number of blocks
that are allocated for asynchronous tranfers.

I suggest starting with:

  fusb_block_size = 4096
  fusb_nblocks = 16

Though after everything is working and realtime scheduling is
enabled (for the usrp mblocks), we may want to switch to

  fusb_block_size = 1024
  fusb_nblocks = 16

Eric