Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] A rfx2400 is down, which chip on the borad is bro

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] A rfx2400 is down, which chip on the borad is broken?
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 21:24:43 -0700

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 10:15:25AM +0800, Lin HUANG wrote:
> What are you doing to the boards?

> We are using the rfx2400s to make a 2*2 MIMO-OFDM platform. We also run
> some
> other programs like usrp-fft, spectrum sensing etc.

to != with ;)

> What are you connecting them to?
> 2 common 2.4G antennas, not the PCB antennas from Ettus.

> The story is like this: We use the platform everyday. Then in someday
> morning or afternoon, we started the USRP and found they had no
> Nobody touched the boards during the period. And when we leave the lab,
> we
> always shut off the power of the boards. The enclosures are usually open
> because we often plug in and out the daughterboard. At that time we are
> always very careful.
>
> So we are very confused. What's the reason?

Changing daughter boards while the power is applied could
cause a problem.

Not having the daughterboards seated properly on the stand offs could
cause a problem.

Dropping wires, connectors, tools or any other conductors onto the
USRP could cause a problem.

Writing your own verilog code could kill the main and/or
daughterboard.

Calling the u._write_oe method could kill the main and/or
daughterboard.

As far as I know, you are the only people who have been killing RFX-*
boards, and you've managed to kill a lot of them.  I suspect that
someone in your lab is mistreating the boards somehow.

Eric