Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] oprofile inband code results

From: George Nychis
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] oprofile inband code results
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 18:16:28 -0400

Eric,

Before even thinking about libpmt, it would be wise to figure out the
much greater CPU consumption in libc.  Start with the big offenders.

When that's sorted out (and we're confident about your profile
numbers) we can have a discussion about what's next.

Sounds good.

BTW, what is the test case that you're running?
What is the exact sequence of commands that you are issuing to
generate this trace?  I'd like to try to reproduce this on my machines.

So actually I was using reset, but said dump.

Heres my exact sequence:

sudo opcontrol --start
sudo opcontrol --reset
./test_usrp_inband_underrun (interp/decim @ 16, 30e6 samples)
sudo opcontrol --save=inband_tx_rx_5
cd .libs/
opreport -rl session:inband_tx_rx_5 lt-test_usrp_inband_underrun &> \
   inband_tx_rx_5

If i run another test, I omit the start :P

And, heres the results of doing just that:
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/gnychis/inband_tx_rx_5

Heres the rbf I'm using, you can change it by editing the underrun application, the current checked in copy of my branch is using nanocell9, just switch it.
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/gnychis/cs1.rbf

A new run with test_usrp_inband_tx:
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/gnychis/inband_tx_6

The key difference between the two is underrun has both TX and RX running, TX only has TX running... and also underrun generates one large message of size d_nsamples_to_send, where the normal TX program breaks d_nsamples_to_send down into multiple frames.

- George