Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Cygwin build problem: python version

From: Don Ward
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Cygwin build problem: python version
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 13:11:52 -0400

Hi Andrew,

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Rose" <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2007 11:41 AM

By way of introduction, I'm a new GnuRadio user, looking to have a play
with it.  I don't have access to a Linux system, so I'm going with
Cygwin.

The cygwin build instructions
(http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/CygwinInstallMain) say that python 2.4 is
required.  However, the cygwin mirrors don't carry python 2.4 any more.
(The current and previous versions are two 2.5 flavours.)

That's definitely a problem!

The only way I could manage to install all the other packages I needed,
without getting in a horrible mess (with both version 2.4 and version
2.5 installed, with different packages using different versions) was to
download an old python 2.4, hack a cygwin release.ini to force it into
believing that I'd installed python, and keep putting the python action
back to "keep" whenever it wanted to upgrade to a 2.5 version.

A few questions came out of this.

1. Does anybody know if python 2.4 still required, or does it work with
2.5 now?  The reason given in http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/WindowsTips
is "the Numeric package assumes that Python 2.4 is used, and wxPython
has unresolved build problems with Python 2.5; until fixed, use python
2.4.3-1 instead".  I don't understand this well enough to know if the
restriction should still be in place.

I tried using python 2.5 back in March (2007) and had the problems listed above. As far as I know, GNU Radio 3.0.4 still needs Numeric but there is still no Numeric for Python 2.5. In the future, GNU Radio will need numpy instead of Numeric, so this will cease to be a problem. I don't recall what the problem was with wxWidgets and Python 2.5, but I will look into it.

Can someone who knows say which versions of GNU Radio currently or will in the future require Numeric (as opposed to numpy)?

Are there any knows issues with GNU Radio and Python 2.5 on non-Windows platforms?

2. Assuming python 2.4 is still required, is there an easier method than
what I describe above to install version 2.4 and prevent cygwin
installing 2.5 as well?

I think you are doing very well to have made it work. Obviously we need to make it work with Python 2.5, though.

I have been waiting for GNU Radio 3.1 to update the build instructions, but it looks like that might not be soon enough. I will look into Python/wxPython/Numeric/numpy issues and see what can be done.

-- Don W.