Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] saturation with multi_fft.py

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] saturation with multi_fft.py
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 12:53:39 -0700

On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 03:14:21PM -0400, address@hidden wrote:
> The figures I showed you previously used std_4rx_0tx.rbf.
>
> To test with the standard std_2rxhb_2tx.rbf, I use the usrp_fft.py (with
> -S).  I tested two cases, both with decimation 180, 1 kHz input, tuned to
> 0 Hz with 0 db gain.  The first is with the voltage level of 1.4 V P-P
> (which cuases the clipping on the std_4rx_0tx.rbf), the second figure is
> at the full scale voltage of 2 V P-P.  Neither show clipping.  The
> clipping is clearly dependent on which rbf file is used.
>
> www.nd.edu/~ematlis/z.gnuradio/usrp_fft_180dec_1.4V_1khz.jpg
>
> www.nd.edu/~ematlis/z.gnuradio/usrp_fft_180dec_2.0V_1khz.jpg
>
> hope this helps clarify the situation....
>
> thanks,
> eric

OK.  So it looks like the non-halfband case needs some adjustment to
reduce the gain so that it matches (more closely) the halfband case.
We don't have any multipliers.  What power of 2 would you like?

The fix goes on lines 83 and 102 of rx_chain.v.  Just change which
bits of hb_in_i are assigned to i_out and likewise for Q.

Send a patch when you're happy ;)

Eric