Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio Release 3.1.0rc0 now available; New Deb

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio Release 3.1.0rc0 now available; New Debian package repository
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 14:43:16 -0400

On Oct 16, 2007, at 1:25 PM, Johnathan Corgan wrote:
I'm not very familiar with MacPorts.  What is the pain involved in
getting things into the binary format it uses?

MacPorts, née DarwinPorts, is a script (acting much like dpkg, dselect, apt-get, synaptic, and so forth) that downloads the source code, applies patches, and then configures, builds, and installs the 'port'. MP is designed to work on Darwin 6 or newer, and OSX 10.3 or newer (and supports a few *BSD*s as well). All of this done via 'portfile' scripts that describe all of the properties for this particular 'port' (not XML, but still a text file that's parsed with keywords and values), such as what other ports this one depends upon, where to get the source file(s) and patches, version, portfile revision and help info, shell environment and commands to use to configure, build, and check the 'port', and so forth. Installs include dependencies, so trying to install wxPython will first install wxWidgets (if not already installed), Python, and anything else needed by those.

There is no real pain, usually, since it's just compiling the sources. It's mostly just time waiting around for everything to compile. Sometimes there are options that are not provided by default, that have to be added to the portfile ... such as: I'm using Python 2.5 to get SVN/Trac running, but GNU Radio relies on the Framework install of Python (on OSX only, to get the GUI to display), which isn't provided by the portfile. Thus I've hacked the portfile (and submitted the changes back to the MacPorts folks) to get the framework option to work (and it does, nicely; it's really a simple change to the portfile).

Because of the number of ports out there, and the number of developers trying to keep the ports reasonably up to date, sometimes conflicts arise between ports. For example not too long ago when wxWidgets and wxPython were around 2.8.1, one developer updated the portfile for wxPython before the compatible version of wxWidgets was available, and thus broke the install for wxPython. This mattered because there was only 1 portfile for wxWidgets, and another for wxPython; it is impossible to directly install from a previous portfile (you can go into their SVN repository, find the older portfile, download it, put it in the correct location, run 'portindex', and then do the install ... but that's somewhat of a PITA).

I have a GNU Radio portfile for 3.0.3, which I will update for 3.1 once it's released, and make available to anyone who wants it (here on the list) as well as try to get it added to the MacPorts portfile list. - MLD