Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio Release 3.1.0rc0 now available; New Deb

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio Release 3.1.0rc0 now available; New Debian package repository
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 12:18:28 -0700

Michael Dickens wrote:

> I will work on rewriting the portfile to allow installation of
> individual modules (as dependencies allow).  For example, gnuradio-core
> must be installed first and can be its own portfile.  gr-audio-osx would
> be its own portfile, as would gr-trellis and so forth.  I don't think
> this is too difficult, and it would be convenient.  Some parts of Python
> 2.5 are separated that way (for whatever reason).

Granularity is good.  I would also recommend having the all-in-one (or
two) that "pulls in" the other parts, for ease of installation.

For example, there are actually 31 Debian packages for the trunk, to
split out the various C++ libraries, C++ development headers, Python
components, documentation, examples, FPGA firmware, and complete
applications.  Yet there are three meta-packages that will pull-in
(almost) the entire set: 'gnuradio', 'usrp', and 'gnuradio-dev'.

Now Debian (and derivatives like Ubuntu) has a very finely grained and
pedantic packaging policy that drives this.  The customs and conventions
of OS/X are unfamiliar to me and I don't know what developers expect.

We can incorporate a directory somewhere in the tree to hold your
collection of portfiles.  If you do this for the trunk, we can backport
the changes needed for the 3.1 release branch, ideally during the
release candidate series instead of after the release.

--
Johnathan Corgan
Corgan Enterprises LLC