Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Encoder Integration

From: Brian Padalino
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Encoder Integration
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 13:37:39 -0400

On 10/29/07, Achilleas Anastasopoulos <address@hidden> wrote:
> Brian,
>
> FYI, soft versions of the Viterbi decoder (named soft-input/soft-output
> blocks) are already implemented in gr-trellis.
> In addition a serially concatenated code, and corresponding turbo
> decoder is implemented using these blocks in the corresponding
> examples directory.

Very nice.  Thanks for pointing that out!

> Achilleas
>
> PS: I have mixed feelings about all this being implemented on the FPGA:
> is this a software or a hardware radio?

In terms of GNURadio, I can agree with the mixed feelings.  I feel
that GNURadio is a good framework to explore the spectrum and radio
communications systems.

In terms of software radio, reprogramming an FPGA with a different
bitfile is no different than changing a flowgraph, in my opinion.  The
only thing really hard in the chain is the RF front end for grabbing
the signals.  It's all "software" from that point on.

In all honesty, I wouldn't mind if the FPGA were more flexible at
compile time and less flexible at runtime.  I feel this would trim
away some of the "fat" associated with being so flexible at runtime,
and allow for better use of the USRP's FPGA for more low latency
processing.

Brian