[Discuss-gnuradio] Ideas for improved FM reception

From: Daniel Povey
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ideas for improved FM reception
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 15:02:14 -0500

Guys [+girls?],
I'm new to the list.  I joined because I do research in signal processing (speech recognition) and I have the idea
that it ought to be possible to use statistical signal processing to get much better FM radio reception than a normal tuner.
I basically want to process the quadrature output (the 2 signals that you get out after multiplying by sin + cos and
lopass filtering) in a different way, not just doing atan but doing a bunch of predictive modeling at that stage, assuming
the signal is a mix of multiple stations + noise, and trying to separate the signals out.
I want to ask this list two things:
(1) is anyone aware of anyone having tried something like this in the past (or know what search
terms I might use to find this out), and
(2)  Could anyone give me to work with, the sampled output at the quadrature stage (I assume this would be something
like 2 synchronized .wav or a stereo .wav file (does it support stereo?), sampled at quite a high frequency).
Dan