Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] BasicRX boards and AM transmission

From: Philip Heron
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] BasicRX boards and AM transmission
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 18:36:35 +0000

Martin Braun wrote:
RXing with the USRP simply doesn't work, though, neither with usrp_rx_nogui.py nor with anything I could come up with. I get lots more noise than expected and usually I get a very loud buzz or whistle which is a lot louder than the TXed signal. Has anyone else had this problem?

Hi Martin,

Just a quick "me too!". I don't have a USRP yet but I did try using GNU Radio to receive AM radio signals with a BT878 chip. With a slightly modified am_rcv.py I could hear the station, but it was very weak and drowned out by lots of noise. The capture was fine as I was able to get good audio (as good as AM can be anyway) with the Dream DRM receiver in analogue mode, using GNU Radio to shift the target carrier down to 12kHz.

-Phil