Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] I&Q on same or separate channels?

From: George Nychis
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] I&Q on same or separate channels?
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:26:23 -0500

Brian Padalino wrote:
On Dec 14, 2007 2:54 PM, George Nychis <address@hidden> wrote:
Shouldn't it always be interleaved complex?  When is real used?

I think single or vestigial sideband modulations use only the real component.

More info here:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-sideband_modulation

Since we perform modulation at the host, the block could essentially just use the real component and ignore the imaginary component.

Is this something the standard code supports? I'm digging through it and the only formatting specifications I'm seeing are for 8 vs. 16-bit samples.

If it's not supported yet, is this something we might want supported? What we have now essentially does this, except I think we're shipping back the imaginary instead of the real ;)

- George