[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: GNU Radio on MacOS X 10.5 Leopard

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: GNU Radio on MacOS X 10.5 Leopard
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 22:08:38 -0500

On Dec 18, 2007, at 3:53 PM, Michael Dickens wrote:

With only a small amount of hacking / patching, I've gotten GNU Radio mostly running on MacOS X 10.5 "Leopard".

2 weeks later:

I've submitted to the MacPorts project all of the fixes needed to get the Python 2.5 and related ports (e.g. wxPython) up and running on both MacOS X 10.4 and 10.5. Most of the ports work "out of the box" on 10.4 and 10.5 now, but Python is one of the remaining holdouts mostly due to conflicts in the dynamic library crowd versus the framework crowd (which is inherently dynamic, just in its own install space). Once those fixes are in place, my 10.4 install script should work just as it is ... with the same issues as before (e.g. SDCC from MacPorts won't work on Intel Macs; download and install the pre- compiled one).

I still can't get GNU Radio's WX GUI stuff to work using GNU Radio's scripts. OTOH, using the demo scripts I wrote over the summer, including a partial "framework" for doing GNU Radio applications, I can get pretty much everything working on 10.5 just as it does under 10.4. The primary difference, I think, between my framework and the GNU Radio examples is that the latter uses the new "top_block", while the former uses "flow_graph" .. yes, I know I need to update - I just hesitate to fix what ain't broke until I need to :)

Anyway, we've experienced this issue before with the spectrum_sense code - "flow_graph" version works while the "top_block" one hangs ... but in this case the issue was fixed by moving from Python 2.4 to 2.5. Now I find a similar issue when running on MacOS X 10.5 versus 10.4, both under Python 2.5. 'Tis a mystery.

I will continue to investigate this issue; more later. - MLD