Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ISE Project navigator and ISE files

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ISE Project navigator and ISE files
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 10:33:31 -0800

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 11:55:42AM -0600, Jeff Brower wrote:
> Eric-

> > > Interesting!
> > > It would seem the export option basically just generates the script I
> > > wrote, but automatically. (Not that I can test it ATM, no 9.1 installs
> > > handy)

> > > Hmm I think you can use both but you end up duplicating settings in the
> > > makefile which is annoying (and potentially dangerous)
> >
> > We're not using coregen, so that part shouldn't be a problem.
>
> How do you implement FIFOs, SDRAM controller, GbE MAC, etc?  Using a
> 'non-Xilinx'
> method?

We write them in verilog.  We like to avoid vendor specific code when
possible, and non-free code like the plague.

We've pulled a fair amount of stuff from opencores.org.  We've found
that the quality of code there is highly variable.  Matt's fixed the
parts we care about, or found people to fix them.  This includes a GbE
MAC, wishbone compatible microblaze knock off (currently running at
50 MHz in a Spartan 3), lots of simple periperals such as I2C, SPI,
UART, interrupt controller, etc.  That free software / open source
idea really does work ;)

Eric