Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: Gnu Radio Companion (GRC) 0.69 experience

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: Gnu Radio Companion (GRC) 0.69 experience
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 15:04:45 -0500

Hello,

On Jan 17, 2008 1:56 PM, Jeffrey Karrels <address@hidden> wrote:
> I was using FC7(32-bit) and GRC 0.69 for a little while. I too noticed
> GRC closing completely, but I do not have enough details to back-up
> your exact pattern. Come to think about it though, it happened more
> often than not in graphs that had a lot of sinks in them...

Strange. I have been running GRC on ubuntu and never noticed this.
Flow graphs are run with os.system("./ExecFlowGraphGUI.py
myflowgraph.xml"). So the flow graph is running as a separate process.
The stop button in GRC calls a kill -9 on the pid of this process.
Perhaps this has something to do with the flowgraph begin executed
from the same shell as GRC.

May I ask what version of python 2.4, 2.5, 3?

Is there someway to make this more robust?

In the meantime, you can run ./ExecFlowGraphGUI.py myflowgraph.xml
manually in a separate shell (should help).

> I have not used GRC in some time, but I do have to say that if it
> doesn't exist already, it would have been nice to have access to the
> code of the actual graph that was being created. Something like an
> "export to .py" or if you really wanted to win my heart a gnu-radio
> 3.2 "export to c".

Good news then: I plan to work on GRC this semester. One of the goals
is to generate the .py files. To do this, I will turn grc into a
module that actually has to appear in the python path, such as "import
grc". This module will contain custom signal blocks and wrappers for
some of the blocks.

I suppose, once that all works, there could be a separate set of block
definitions for c++ blocks, and one could make flow graps in GRC and
export it to cpp. As long as the GUI is general enough.

If any one has any wishlist requests, let me know.
-Josh