Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Need info for paper.

From: Bob McGwier
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Need info for paper.
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 23:17:27 -0500

I have two of the Lyrtech boards and with the develpment tools for DSP chip and FPGA. Using Matlab simulink, and code generation, etc. for rapid prototyping this is just about ohh, one hundred grand..

The Matlab is shared license at work as is the DSP and FPGA development tools but this is well out of reach of most.

Bob

Tom Rondeau wrote:
John Clark wrote:
George Nychis schrieb:
Hi John,

There are a couple other SDR-type platforms in the academic world... but none really come close to the code base of GR IMO.

Some of these seemed pretty 'expensive' to get into... the use of ASICs, and the like, also, they seem to be directed to pretty specific implementations of transmissions, even though one could conceivably load in a new chunk of firmware 'on the fly' perhaps...
Along those lines are Lyrtech's boards (the Small Form Factor (SFF) SDR) and TI has something similar. These are almost all FPGA-based SDR devices, and I'm not sure what kind of software you get with them to do any communications. And they are very expensive.

Gary's new design uses an Intel chip, though I'm not sure where they are on production. I've seen them work, though, and they provided a nice demonstration of the KUAR at the IEEE DySPAN conference in Dublin last year. I hope to get them back for this year's, too.

Tom