[Discuss-gnuradio] RFX transceiver board receive VCO offset automated ca

From: Richard Clarke
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] RFX transceiver board receive VCO offset automated calibration
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 15:44:21 +1300

Hi All,

Before I go ahead and try to implement an auto calibration routine for the Rx frequency offset of the receive subsystem on the RFX400/USRP, I was wondering if anyone else had already implemented something similar, or had any pointers for me. Basically what I want to do is create a calibration routine that will determine the frequency offset between the RFX400/USRP receive subsystem (nominally already set to equal the frequency from a transmit source (e.g sig gen) and the transmit source, and then nudge the tune frequency to null that offset. I find that my RFX400 receiver after time to stabilise is around 3.2KHz in error, which is well within it's spec I know, however I want to automatically determine this offset and null it out. I guess the actual fine frequency adjustment will actually be occurring in the DDC, would that be correct?

One way to measure the frequency offset is to look at either the I or Q waveform of the (unmodulated) downconverted RF signal. When an offset is present between Tx source carrier and Rx subsystem the in-phase or quadrature signal is a sinusoidal waveform with a frequency corresponding to the magnitude of the offset involved. Use this to then fine tune the RFX400/USRP.

So, has anyone done something similar before? Do you have any code you'd be willing to share?

Thanks very much.

Cheers
Richard

addressee.  It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be
lost by reason of this transmission.
other act on the email.