Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: new to GNU radio

From: Brian Padalino
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: new to GNU radio
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 13:38:57 -0500

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 1:27 PM, Manav Rohil <address@hidden> wrote:
> thanks for the replies...
>  So that means if i dont have a USRP, i cannot simulate a packet
>  transmission/reception entirely in software since the data will never be
>  modulated to the carrier frequency.

No need for a USRP ... just simulation!

>  What is the alternative..Write a mixer block(using gr.multiply_cc) in
>  software and feed the data bits and a local oscillator to this?The
>  output of the mixer will then be the modulated signal at the carrier
>  frequency i want...And then I demodulate it using costas's receiver...

It depends on what you're trying to simulate.  The RF hardware with
I/Q phase/DC imbalances?  Just baseband distortions?  Fading?  Doppler
spread?  Multipath?  AWGN?

I recommend the book:

    "Simulation of Communication Systems" ISBN 0-306-46267-2

It's heavy on the math, and it's really for advanced readers - but it
covers everything.

I believe there may be some channels implemented within GNU Radio
right now, but there hasn't been much discussion of using GNU Radio
strictly for simulation.

Hope this helps.

Brian