[Discuss-gnuradio] D-Star (was Re: DV Dongle - AMBE USB Device)

From: Dave hartzell
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] D-Star (was Re: DV Dongle - AMBE USB Device)
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 21:19:15 -0700

Hi All,

I spent some time looking at the D-Star spec, which is supposedly
"open".  Unfortunately, the published DOC (yes, singular) out there
are far from complete.  Fortunately, Moe, Pieter and Robin did some
work analyzing D-Star and posted their results...

Doing D-Star with the USRP looks easily done and most stuff is there
such as GMSK, inter-leaving, Trellis, etc.  I think that what is
missing is a scrambling and of course a framer.

While I'm not sure that D-Star has much advantage over other protocols
available in amateur radio, it seems to be taking off.  Networks are
being built.  D-Star can transport data, such as short-messages and
most importantly Ethernet frames.  AMBE could be replaced by Speex.

Dave