RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio on VMWare

From: Mr. mollasadra
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio on VMWare
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 20:57:28 +0000

Well, That DID solve the problem (I hadn't installed sdcc, so I did and it worked).
but now I'm trying to connect the USRP to the VMWare via usb but when I
run a sample demo I'm getting this error:

$ python usrp_wfm_rec.py

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "usrp_wfm_rec.py", line 25, in ?
    from gnuradio import usrp
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gnuradio/usrp.py", line 24, in ?
    from usrpm import usrp_prims
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/usrpm/usrp_prims.py", line 6, in ?
    import _usrp_prims
ImportError: libusrp.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I did add a new RULE by creating the file /etc/udev/rules.d/90-usb.rules and putting this in it:

SYSFS{idVendor}=="fffe", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0002", MODE="0666"

so non-root users could access the USRP via USB.

Also when I do tail -f /var/log/messages I do get the usb:

address@hidden sadraei]# tail -f /var/log/messages
Mar 25 02:14:40 localhost kernel: usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 4
Mar 25 02:18:27 localhost kernel: usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 5

Is this a recognized error?
I couldn't find any good sources on setting the usrp with the the gnu radio online
so I'm wondering if there is more to it than what I have done?

Thank you again for being so patient with my questions.

> CC: address@hidden
> From: address@hidden
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio on VMWare
> Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:14:43 -0400
>
> On Mar 26, 2008, at 10:04 AM, Mr. mollasadra wrote:
> > The only remaining question is: how many of those modules that ./
> > configure said it was skipping am I suppose to get
> > because they are unnecessary (depending on my operating system
> > requirements, sound card, etc) and how many were skipped
> > because of the lack of some dependencies?
>
> Do you have a USRP attached to your computer that you're trying to use?
>
> I found, from the default install of FC8, that following the
> FedoraInstall instructions got all of the modules to compile that
> could be compiled (e.g. gr-audio-osx and -windows won't compile, since
> they're not for Linux; -jack won't build if you don't have the jack
> library; likewise for -comedi component).
>
> Most of the rest of the components require USRP to build ... I found
> that all I needed to get USRP to compile was executing (as in the
> FedoraInstall page):
>
> export PATH=/usr/libexec/sdcc:$PATH
>
> before running ./configure , in order to provide the needed into to
> configure to find 'sdcc' and its cohorts. YMMV - MLD

Watch “Cause Effect,” a show about real people making a real difference. Learn more.