Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Sensitivity of USRP to power glitches

From: Don Ward
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Sensitivity of USRP to power glitches
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 13:33:01 -0400

Marcus Leech wrote:

Something I've noticed over the years with the USRP is that it seems
unusually sensitive to power glitches, even tiny ones. Maybe
 ground noise?

For example, removing an RF connector while the USRP is powered up can
sometimes cause it to go into "Protocol Error -71" in and
 endless loop, and other things that might introduce small amounts of
ground noise.

This morning, my wife started the vacuum cleaner outside my office.  The
USRP had been running entirely fine for 24 hours, and
 then as soon as the vacuum cleaner started (causing a small AC
glitch), the USRP crashed with "Protocol Error -71".

I used to have problems when turning on a desk lamp or the computer speakers. On Windows I was getting usb_reap_async errors.

Is this an USRP thing, or is it that the USB is rather noise sensitive,
and you normally don't see it because 99% of USB devices
 are powered from the PC, rather than independently, as the USRP is.

My problem went away when I upgraded my computer. This make me suspect that it is a USB problem.

-- Don W.