Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Definition of USB Interfaces is different in Wind

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Definition of USB Interfaces is different in Windows
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 10:27:04 -0700

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 05:27:06PM +0600, Ujala Qasim wrote:
> I connected the USRP to the USB 2.0 port and obtained the information of the
> device using the lsusb -v command in Ubuntu. The output is attached below.
> Even in Ubuntu, the interfaces and endpoints come out to be different than
> those defined in usrp_interfaces.h. So what is going on here? Which are the
> actual interfaces and end points?
> Bus 005 Device 003: ID fffe:0002

As Philip pointed out, you haven't loaded the FX2 firmware yet.
You can tell this by looking at the bcdDevice field.  When it's got
the "real" firmware loaded, it has a non-zero value to the left of the
radix point.

Here's what it looks like after you load std.ihx:

Bus 001 Device 011: ID fffe:0002
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass          255 Vendor Specific Class
  bDeviceSubClass       255 Vendor Specific Subclass
  bDeviceProtocol       255 Vendor Specific Protocol
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0xfffe
  idProduct          0x0002
  bcdDevice            1.02
  iManufacturer           1 Free Software Folks
  iProduct                2 USRP Rev 2
  iSerial                 6 00000000
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           50
    bNumInterfaces          3
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xc0
      Self Powered
    MaxPower                0mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           0
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass    255 Vendor Specific Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol    255 Vendor Specific Protocol
      iInterface              3 Command & Status
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        1
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           1
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass    255 Vendor Specific Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol    255 Vendor Specific Protocol
      iInterface              4 Transmit Path
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               0
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        2
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           1
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass    255 Vendor Specific Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol    255 Vendor Specific Protocol
      iInterface              5 Receive Path
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x86  EP 6 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               0
Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
  bLength                10
  bDescriptorType         6
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass          255 Vendor Specific Class
  bDeviceSubClass       255 Vendor Specific Subclass
  bDeviceProtocol       255 Vendor Specific Protocol
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  bNumConfigurations      1
Device Status:     0x0001
  Self Powered