RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP1 USB I/F failure & repair

From: Paul Mathews
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP1 USB I/F failure & repair
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 16:23:16 -0700

Thanks for the clarification about C73, C74. The Raychem datasheet doesn't
say so directly, I'm guessing that these parts are some form of varistor. In
my experience, varistors are less reliable than silicon clamping devices,
both in terms of their dynamic clamping characteristics and their ultimate
failure characteristics.

http://www.conformity.com/artman/publish/printer_211.shtml

http://www.nxp.com/acrobat_download/applicationnotes/AN10753_1.pdf

I work in a high humidity environment, and I'd be surprised if ESD was the
cause of failure of these parts, anyway. I suspect that flexing of the
circuit board during USB plugging/unplugging caused cracking. The large
solder fillets on the parts may have contributed to the problem.

Paul Mathews