Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP1 USB I/F failure & repair

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP1 USB I/F failure & repair
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 19:26:58 -0400

Matt Ettus wrote:
> Paul Mathews wrote:
>
> Paul,
>
> Thanks for your analysis of the situation.  C73 and C74 are not
> actually capacitors, they are, as you say, electrostatic discharge
> protectors, part number PESD0402-060.  I have not seen any fail in the
> manor you mention, but I suppose enough static could cause that.
>
> Has anyone else seen this failure mode?
>
> Matt

Aren't ESD protectors usually MOVs, and don't MOVs usually fail by
shorting?  They can absorb so many joules of ESD, and
  after that they short out.

In live electrical power lines,  this usually causes the breaker to trip.

The other type are GDTs, which fail open.  But they don't fail very often.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator, Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium