Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP: libusb-1.0 branch

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP: libusb-1.0 branch
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:03:09 -0400

I had a few minutes, so I tried out this branch on OSX 10.5.8 running on an Intel MacBook Pro early 2008 using libusb 1.0.3 installed from MacPorts. The branch does everything correctly: bootstrap, configure, make, check, installed, and uninstall; I didn't try distcheck. Using this branch, I did the following:
------------------------------
% cd /usr/local/share/gnuradio/examples/usrp
% ./usrp_benchmark_usb.py
Testing 2MB/sec... usb_throughput = 2M
ntotal    = 1000000
nright    = 998622
runlength = 998622
delta     = 1378
OK
Testing 4MB/sec... usb_throughput = 4M
ntotal    = 2000000
nright    = 1998572
runlength = 1998572
delta     = 1428
OK
Testing 8MB/sec... uUuOuUuUusb_throughput = 8M
ntotal    = 4000000
nright    = 3995220
runlength = 3937378
delta     = 62622
OK
Testing 16MB/sec... uUuUuUusb_throughput = 16M
ntotal    = 8000000
nright    = 7997511
runlength = 3819267
delta     = 4180733
FAILED
Testing 32MB/sec... uOuUuOuUuOuUuUuOuOuUuOuUuOuUuOuUuOuUuUuOuOuUuOuUuOuUuOuUuOuOuUuOuUuOuUuOuUuUuUuUuUuUuUuUuUuUuUuUuUuUuUuUuUuUuUuUuUusb_throughput = 32M
ntotal    = 16000000
nright    = 15506437
runlength = 19465
delta     = 15980535
FAILED
Max USB/USRP throughput = 8MB/sec
------------------------------
I then did "sudo make uninstall", and moved to the current GNU Radio trunk, built that and installed it; I then redid the above:
------------------------------
Testing 2MB/sec... uUusb_throughput = 2M
ntotal    = 1000000
nright    = 998708
runlength = 998708
delta     = 1292
OK
Testing 4MB/sec... usb_throughput = 4M
ntotal    = 2000000
nright    = 1998177
runlength = 1998177
delta     = 1823
OK
Testing 8MB/sec... usb_throughput = 8M
ntotal    = 4000000
nright    = 3999040
runlength = 3999040
delta     = 960
OK
Testing 16MB/sec... usb_throughput = 16M
ntotal    = 8000000
nright    = 7999201
runlength = 7999201
delta     = 799
OK
Testing 32MB/sec... usb_throughput = 32M
ntotal    = 16000000
nright    = 15989449
runlength = 15989449
delta     = 10551
OK
Max USB/USRP throughput = 32MB/sec
So, I'm not sure where the issue(s) is/are, but clearly the native FUSB driver for Darwin is faster right now. That said, at least libusb1 can be used with GNU Radio on OSX .. that's a step in the correct direction! - MLD