Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Transmit legit, become a ham

From: Kelly Martin
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Transmit legit, become a ham
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 00:39:18 -0600

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
Moreover, the amateur license gives you a ready and simple explanation
for anyone who might want to claim that you possession of radio
equipment signals some kind of intent to operate in a forbidden
manner. "Why do you have all this radio stuff? Are you a terrorist??"
"No. Ham radio operator." "oh. Okay. I'll just leave now before you
geek-out on me."
Another point to consider is that the EB's approach toward interference is different when the interference comes from an unlicensed source as opposed to a licensed one. If harmful interference to a licensed station originates from an unlicensed source and the unlicensed source is an intentional radiator that isn't just a malfunctioning part 15 device or something, the FCC is very likely to slap the responsible party with a Notice of Unauthorized Operation, or NOUO; NOUOs typically carry an $11,000 fine and that fine is often assessed on the first offense. However, interference which originates from a licensed station, even if the licensee is not authorized to operate on the frequencies in question, will typically result in a Notice of Violation, or NOV. Licensees subject to a NOV are typically given an opportunity to correct the violation without penalty, especially when the interference was not intentional or was due to a misunderstanding or an ordinary technical error on the part of the licensee. Amateur radio operators, in particular, are often given considerable leeway here. NOVs also tend to carry smaller fines (at least for amateur service licensees) than an NOUO for the same behavior, and the FCC is less likely to confiscate offending equipment. As an aside, I'm a ARRL/VEC accredited volunteer examiner, and have administered nearly 100 license examinations now, so I think by now I have some concept of how the process works. If anyone has any questions regarding this process, I'll be glad to answer them.

Regards,

Kelly (AB9RF)