Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] about usrp_spectrum_sense.py

From: Gregor Dschung
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] about usrp_spectrum_sense.py
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 17:08:33 +0200

Hey Lishan .... or Wh .... or whatever your name is...,

The part you posted from usrp_spectrum_sense.py is taken from
gr-wxgui/src/python/fftsink_nongl.py. There are some comments in the
code which tries to explain the gr.nlog10_ff-block: the variable
"power" is mentioned there.

The window is used to reduce the leakage [1, 2].

You have "self.connect(self.u, s2v, fft, c2mag, stats)", where "stats"
is a gr.bin_statistics_f block. Thus you find the squared magnitudes
of the fft data in the msg-queue which "stats" uses.
gr.bin_statistics_f accumulates the incoming data over some time
("dwell_delay"), which results in maximized bins of the squared
magnitudes: Please have a look at
gnuradio-core/src/lib/general/gr_bin_statistics_f.cc

Regards,
Gregor

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectral_leakage
[2] http://www.ee.iitm.ac.in/~nitin/_media/ee462/fftwindows.pdf