Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Can't get SDR Transceiver running

From: Matthias Weber
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Can't get SDR Transceiver running
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 23:25:53 +0200

Alexandru Csete wrote:
> I tested that software back in January and it worked quite well. I
> found in my notes that it required an RX/TX pair mounted on side B of
> the USRP. It didn't work without a transmitter board.
Hello Alex! Thank you for the hint. The problem really was that the
RX/TX pair has to be mounted on side B.
(That's even where my RX used to be mounted, but I thought it might be
better on side A. ;))

> The code is a little difficult to read because it is generated by GRC
> then modified by hand and it mixes the receiver and transmitter paths
> together. If you are looking for some examples, the gnuradio examples
> in /usr/share/gnuradio/examples might be easier to understand.
Thank you!

Jack Sun wrote:
> However, looking at the error message that you have pasted, have
> you tried putting your BasicRX daughterboard in the RXB slot? The USRP has 4
> slots, and when we did our testing the BasicRX was always in slot 4 (the one
> on the very right of the USRP box). It may have been our USRP, but when we
> tested it never worked for RXA. Specifically, this is the line (line 315 in
> AM) that I am talking about:
>
> self.usrp_simple_source_x_0 = grc_usrp.simple_source_c(which=0, side="B",
> rx_ant="RXAB")
>
> Either change the side to A in the software code or change your
> daughterboard to B and see if it works for you.
Hello Jack! Thank you very much for your help. Indeed it was the RX
board which was mounted on the wrong side of the motherboard (as
mentioned above). Unfortunately I had some AF problems with my
soundcard, that's why I just started testing.

Thanks also to the help of Mrs Katz from csun!

For everybody else: I also tested usage of side A, which also works
quite well (so far). But: you'll have to change the sourcecode for every
mode (AM, CW, FM, SSB). So it's up to you... take a screwdriver or the
keyboard! ;)

I plugged in an antenna for the RX board, started the program and
switched to a frequency on the 2m band. Then I took my handheld VHF
transceiver and did some "test calls". If I'll find the time tomorrow
I'll play around with the short wave bands (hopefully including
antennas) and the sourcecode.

As I have access to some HF measurement equipment at work I'll probably
do some more tests. Would be nice if I could help somebody else with that!

Does somebody on the list sell a BasixTX board for less than $75?
(Europe would be good because of shipping. :)

Thanks for your help so far, I really appreciate it.

Best regards,
Matthias