Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Details on Ettus E100?

From: Elvis Dowson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Details on Ettus E100?
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 23:10:27 +0400

On Dec 14, 2010, at 10:47 PM, Douglas Geiger wrote:

> One more question - about cabling this time. Does the UE100-KIT come
> with any adapters to assist with plugging my standard sized USB
> devices (keyboard/mouse, flash drive, etc.) into the various USB ports
> on the front panel? If not, can you describe which port is which type
> - the serial console port looks like a mini-B, and the USB OTG and
> Host ports look like they might be micro-B's, but I'm not familiar
> enough with the mini/micro USB ports to tell just from the picture on
> your data sheet.

>From past experience working with the Overo Earth/Fire COM modules
and various gumstix expansion boards :

a. USB OTG port would require a USB Cable (mini-B to mini-A) which has
a white plastic connector on one end, and a black connector on the other end.

http://www.gumstix.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=219

It's kind of a waste of time trying to create your own, plus this cable is
difficult
to come by, so its better ordering one.

You can then plug the black end of this cable, to a powered USB hub.

I use a nice compact Logitech H-UE5 with 4 USB ports.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Premium-4-Port-USB-Hub/dp/B000RZUV9S

You can hook up a keyboard, mouse or external USB wlan module to this port.
The power supply accepts a 5V input with a 2.5A current rating, so its got
sufficient power for most peripherals.

USB OTG means it can act as both a host to other peripheral devices
or as peripheral device when connected to a connectedhost computer.

b. USB Host is the regular interface but with a mini-A end.

c. The console port is a serial debug console port of the OMAP35x processor.
Internally, the OMAP35x has 3 serial UARTs, of which one is connected to an
FTDI RS232 to USB converter (on the gumstix expansion boards, not sure about
the E100).

The debug console is useful for obtaining diagnostic information from the host
processor during the boot process (MLO, u-boot, kernel uImage), and as the
system
boots into the root filesystem.

Think of this as a linux terminal console for the Gumstix Overo module.

Elvis Dowson