Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ettus E-100(USRP) newbie's Questions

From: Ben Hilburn
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ettus E-100(USRP) newbie's Questions
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 21:35:38 -0400

> Three questions I have:
> 1. Do you know where I can find any document or good website that I can use
> for setting and starting up E-100?

The best resource for getting started, to my knowledge, is the FAQ on the Wiki:
http://ettus-apps.sourcerepo.com/redmine/ettus/projects/usrpe1xx/wiki/FAQ

> The linux built in the USRP E100 is too slow that it takes too long time to
> install and try something out for installation.
> Please tell me your experiences of the first time you used E100.

What do you mean by "linux is ... too slow"?  The E100 operates using
an OMAP3 processor - it isn't going to be nearly as fast as a PC, if
that's what you mean.  In terms of embedded devices, I have had no
trouble with the E100 'acting slow'.

> 2. I have tried the example given by the website above
> (./benchmark_rx_rate).
> And I got the error like below. Do you know what the problem or reason of
> it?

I'm not sure about it returning 0xffffffff, but the first thing I
would try is updating the FPGA firmware:
http://ettus-apps.sourcerepo.com/redmine/ettus/projects/usrpe1xx/wiki/FAQ#How-do-I-update-the-FPGA-firmware

> As another question, is there other way to install UHD with the command,
> opkg? Someone said the command would make easier to set up UHD or E-100.

No, UHD is not currently in the opkg repositories, so this isn't
possible at the moment.

Cheers,
Ben