Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Broadcast FM is crap!

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Broadcast FM is crap!
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 15:19:21 -0500

On 02/19/2012 01:08 PM, Andrew Davis wrote:
I find quite the opposite, 60's bands will sometimes have the most
stereo separation. When stereo recording came out they made the most
of it, they would put whole instruments on just one channel, it would
make you feel like you are in the middle of the band. Then the 70's
"wall-of-sound" came out and it started to be had to pull generated
instruments to one side without ruining the effect. Now its all just
mono again.

In this digital age its kinda strange we still use analog modulation.
If it were digital, and there was not L-R information it would just
encode the one signal better, not wasting information and bandwidth
like FM.

So, on a related topic, how do commercial FM-MPX receivers maintain proper balance between L-R and L+R -- do they just have a gain control that they tweak at the factory and glue in place?

If the gain balance is off, separation starts to go to heck really quickly. And obviously, you can't use AGC, since that would cause a lot of noise to be injected when the L-R channel was mostly zero.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator