Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Citation of GNUradio codes

From: Nazmul Islam
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Citation of GNUradio codes
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 16:40:51 -0500

Thanks a lot, George & Michael. I really appreciate your suggestions.

Nazmul

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 1:59 PM, Michael Dickens <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Nazmul - If you use the GNU Radio GIT master and update it regularly, I think that

GNU Radio Website, accessed February 2012. [Online]. Available: http://www.gnuradio.org

is complete enough, since it refers to both the project in general as well as the code.  If you use a specific version (e.g., of the GIT master or a release such as 3.5.1), you'd probably want to state that just to make it clear.  The (La)TeX markup that I use for the above is:

@misc{url:gnu-radio,
 author = "{GNU Radio Website}",
 year = "{accessed February 2012}",
 url = "" href="http://www.gnuradio.org" target="_blank">http://www.gnuradio.org}
}

The important parts for any URL-based citation such as this are: (0) The project name, with any distinguishing characteristics needed to make it unique (such as the version number or extended name if there are more than 1 projects using a similar name); (1) when you last accessed the URL, since websites do change and sometimes you won't have accessed it for a while before you submitted the paper; and (2) a valid URL as of the month of last access (for example, the above URL works with or without the trailing '/', while others require it).  That said, before I submit such a paper I always work through the URLs and update their info, verifying each one to make sure it is still valid & if not then figuring out the correct URL.

Hope this helps! - MLD