Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] detecting spectrum holes

From: George Nychis
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] detecting spectrum holes
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 10:20:48 -0400

Finding white space in the spectrum can be done by looking at power across the bins you are monitoring.  I have done White space research with the USRP2 and the WBX, and they worked out great for me.  So you're on the right track!

Take a look at this work, Section 3.1:
http://static.usenix.org/event/nsdi10/tech/full_papers/yang.pdf

They have a basic technique for detecting white space.  Their paper was not about the TV bands, but the technique should work elsewhere.

Best of luck, and welcome!

- George