Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GrExtras - write blocks in python, message passin

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GrExtras - write blocks in python, message passing, misc features...
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 13:25:33 -0700

On 06/05/2012 01:17 PM, Martin Braun wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 02, 2012 at 10:52:50AM -0700, Josh Blum wrote:
>> Message passing builds on top of the existing GNU Radio stream tags - to
>> give the user an API to simply pass tags (without the streams) as
>> messages between blocks. The user can use this feature to implement a
>> packet layer in gnuradio, or even do control plane stuff - but all the
>> while, sticking to the standard block flow graph model that users are
>> familiar with.
>
> Hi Josh,
>
> this is nice stuff. I'll be definitely playing around with it.

Cool thanks!

> One question on the messages: is there a reason messages can't be passed
> upstream? That might come in handy on occasions.

Actually, I think that should work just fine.

I haven't created a control-plane sort of demo, I guess I should make
that a mini project this weekend. But in theory, if block A feeds block
B a stream, block B could have a message source that feeds a message
sink on block A.

That shouldnt violate any of gnuradio's circular link checks when it
flattens the hierarchy, because the message part of the blocks are
actually separate blocks internally.

-josh