[Discuss-gnuradio] DAB Single Frequency Network transmission

From: Mathias Coinchon
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] DAB Single Frequency Network transmission
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 02:45:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

For your information, here's an application for DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting) Single Frequency Network transmission using newest USRP with external synchronisation:
http://tech.ebu.ch/news/ebu-collaborates-on-successful-dab-sfn-m-17jul12

It's working well in the lab but we have not been able to test on the field yet because one of the just ordered used Thunderbolt clock has a problem.
The student (in copy) had built his own GPS clock based on ublox module but the jitter is too important when tuning it at 10MHz (check his report).
He's considered sending the base frequency directly but this would require some modifications in the USRP.

The other thing we noticed is that with a DAB signal, there's a periodic null symbol (around 100ms without any power) and some of the WBX/USRP have problem with that, when the signal returns it peaks and then decreases again. It looks like an AGC problem. Have some of you already experienced this ?

Regards

Mathias Coinchon