[Discuss-gnuradio] Transmit and Received Signals are Different

From: Frederick Lee
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Transmit and Received Signals are Different
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 15:30:41 -0700

HI,

I am currently using two USRP N210 rev4 with a RFX2400 daughter board and a VERT2450 antenna on each. I am having trouble transmitting a signal between the two USRPs even though they are right next to each other.

On the transmitting flowgraph, I have a signal source sending a square wave at 1kHz with an amplitude of 100m connected to a USRP sink. On the receiving flowgraph, I have a USRP source multiplied with a complex cosine to shift the signal to baseband. Then I use a lowpass filter before sending to a scope sink or fft sink.

Whenever I use the scope sink to look at the incoming signal, it looks nothing like the square wave I am sending. It sometimes looks like a sine wave with a frequency other than 1kHz, or it looks something like the picture titled received_signal.png ( I only showed one of the lines because it was too cluttered with both of them ). When I send a cosine or a constant signal, I receive a sine on the scope, but the amplitude jumps a little and the frequency jumps up and down one or two kHz.

I also wanted to know what happens to the signal in the RFX2400 daughterboard and what the FPGA does to the signal. I think I read somewhere that the FPGA converts the signal to baseband, but I was not sure if that is true. I have attached the flowgraphs used for transmitting and receiving.

I appreciate any help,

Frederick