Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GSoC: Filter Design tool update

From: Robert McGwier
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GSoC: Filter Design tool update
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 07:22:43 -0400

Thank you.  It would be great to see this finished and not left in the state I had to leave it.

Thanks the great view of your project in your links.

Bob

On Sunday, July 22, 2012, sreeraj r wrote:
Hi all,

A brief update on the new features added to the filter design tool[1]

--IIR Filter Design (Scipy Based)
   -Butterworth
   -Elliptic
   -Chebyshev-1
   -Chebyshev-2
   -Bessel
--Pole-zero plot now supports addition, deletion of poles/zeros with conjugate support.

A small video showing some of the added features can be found here[2].

At first I started using Robert McGwier's existing code[3] and added features to that as suggested by Tom and Martin. Later finding that Scipy's filter design functions[4] are very much optimized and robust, I decided to use those. Martin also pointed out that it will just be a duplication of work and suggested me to use scipy for IIR design.

I did a basic integration of the code to gr-filter component of GNU Radio[5]. I haven't pushed icons yet to the branch. It would be really helpful if anyone can comment on the current integration, so that I can make suitable modifications.

In next few weeks I will be adding some special filters like half-band filter to the design tool, then will proceed with integration of gr_filter_design to GRC and will try to add QA tests for filter design routines wherever they are missing.

---
Regards
Sreeraj Rajendran
http://home.iitb.ac.in/~rsreeraj