Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Sink and Source that pass on Stream Tags

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Sink and Source that pass on Stream Tags
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 09:31:19 -0400

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Andrew Burger <address@hidden> wrote:
> I tried udp and file sink and source to pass on stream tags but I don't
> receieve them on the source side. Am I missing something? Are there any way
> to pass on steam tags to another machine or save them to a file.
>
> Thanks

Andrew,

No, you'll have to edit one of those blocks to do that for you. There
is some work on storing serialized tags into file sinks (see
gr_tagged_file_sink), but there would need to be a similar source that
knew how to read in the tags and data and convert them properly.

The reason is that tags are sent along the scheduler as a separate
stream, so they are not treated the same as the data path
(input_buffers and output_buffers), so unless blocks that move data
into and out of a GR flowgraph know about tags, they won't deal with
them.

Tom